Calories Per Serving
15 Mins Prep
45 minutes Cooking Time
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into medium chunks
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1-2 tsp chilli powder (depending on how hot you like it)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 red pepper, cut into chunks
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 400g can black beans, drained
- 400g can kidney beans, drained
- lime wedges, guacamole, coriander and rice to serve
Heat oven to fan 200C/180C – Gas Mark 6. Put the sweet potato chunks in a roasting tin and drizzle over 1½ tbsp oil, 1 tsp smoked paprika and 1 tsp ground cumin. Give everything a good mix to cover all the chunks in spices, season with salt and pepper, then roast until cooked for 25 minutes.
In the meantime heat up the remaining oil over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add the carrot, onion, and celery. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stir occasionally until soft, then crush in the garlic and cook for another 1 min. Add remaining dried spices and puree with tomato. Give a good mix to everything, and cook 1 min more.
Add the red pepper, chopped tomatoes, and water 200 ml. Bring the chilli to a boil and cook for 20 minutes. Tip the beans and cook for another 10 minutes before sweet potato is added. Season to taste then serve with wedges of lime, guac, rice and cilantro. Make ahead and freeze up to three months.