This vegan mushroom based steak replacement is a great complement to your vegan diet and to your weight loss plan. The use of fresh herbs such as rosemary adds that extra layer of taste, to the already rich in taste portobello mushrooms.
Health Benefits from eating mushrooms
Mushrooms are rich in antioxidants such as ergothioneine and glutathione, which help fight free radicals. These free radicals in turn help cause ageing in our bodies, therefore stopping them is important to keep healthy.
Mushrooms can help boost your memory and also help prevent Parkinsons and Alzheimer‘s disease.
Mushrooms are low in salt, but give your meals a strong taste which can help in reducing the salt we add to our foods. Less salt is good for your blood pressure and therefore good for your heart.
Mushrooms also help us reduce our red meat intake, as we can see in the recipe above, we can substitute red meat with a large tasty portobello mushroom, cooked over a char grill or pan, without making you feel that you are missing out.
Mushrooms are rich in vitamin B, whcih helps your body release energy from the food we eat, therefore making you feel more energetic.
Enjoy those mushrooms!
- red onion
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- 2 large portobello mushrooms
- clean the mushrooms and remove the stems
- chop up the stems and cook with the olive oil, garlic, balsamic vinegar and red onion
- dab the whole mushrooms with some olive oil and put the mushroom face up on the hot pan or grill with the rosemary
- pour the garlic, onion and mushroom stem mix into the mushroom
- season with black pepper and salt